Friday, February 5, 2010

Hangin' with my peeps

Here I am, finally feeling settled in Uganda. I haven't had a chance to sit down and write about everything until now. Well, untrue, I had plenty of time in the village to sit, but with no electricity blogging was out of the question.

Day one seems like an eternity ago, but I want to go back to the beginning. The entry into a foreign land is always a favorite time for me. The funny thing about Uganda is that it no longer feels to foreign. I landed late in the evening and was greeted at the airport by my friend and faithful driver, Angelo. We have a nice connection with real conversation. He took me to my home sweet home, the Red Chilli. It's a sweet hostel that caters to backpackers from around the globe. I was welcomed by the staff with hugs and smiles. I had kept in touch with some of them via email, so it was wonderful to see them. I immediately got into my western ways of getting online, charging my cell phone and hopping on skype. After getting connected I secured my favorite dorm bed, strategically placed away from the bathroom and close to a window and tried to sleep. I'm unsure what kept me tossing and turning all night long, the anti-malaria drugs or my body clock. Regardless, sleep eluded me.

Since I hardly slept a wink day two felt like day one. I was out of bed early to attend Mass at St. Kizito. I love going to listen to the children sing and being surrounded by their good energy. Just the way I want to start my Uganda 2010 experience. I arrived late, but knew I would find the perfect spot. Of course, there was Elizabeth, the beloved headmistress next to the door. Just to see her gave me a rush of happiness. She is a mentor, auntie and loved one to me. I was embraced by her and felt right at home. I then started to recognize many of the teachers and immediately saw a computer student name Innocent. He is unforgettable. I met him in 2007 and he was one of the "pioneers" of the computer literacy program, meaning he was a freshman/first year student of the 4 Oneworld computer literacy that began in 2006. It felt good to see so many familiar faces. There was no chance of me missing home at this point in time.

I spent some time at St. Kizito catching up with many teachers and taking time for tea in Elizabeth's office. The first week of school is usually rather uneventful in Uganda. Many students do not show up on the first day, but sometime during the week. There's a variety of reasons for their late arrival including lack of school fees, rain or just laziness. It's kind of like the calm before the storm, but classes aren't regular until week two. So I headed out to run some essential errands like changing money, getting air time on my cell phone, hitting the bookstore and doing one of my favorite things in Africa...riding the bodas (motorcylcles). I love the simple form of transport that leaves me feeling carefree and empowered, as we weave through traffic risking life every inch of the way. If I can negotiate a fair price, accomplish my errands and survive the boda ride, then there's nothing I can't achieve in life. Elizabeth doesn't like me to ride the bodas, as she thinks they are too dangerous. I say, "When in Rome..."

I spent the remainder of the day resting and taking care of me. I skyped loved ones, hit the market and indulged in a pedicure. Nothing better than a man scrubbing my feet and making my toes look pretty. Just what a girl needs after 24 hours of travel. It had fallen dark during my pedi, but I was only a stone's throw from the Chili, so I felt more than confident to walk. I hit a local vendor for a chapati dinner and while waiting I heard my name. I immediately questioned myself, thinking who would know me? Well, silly me. I'm the muzungu (what Ugandans call white folk) minority in the heart of town. I turned to find Elizabeth's son, Daniel! He's currently teaching at St. Kizito and it was lovely to see yet another familiar face. We enjoyed a walk in the same direction as we caught up on life. He was impressed that I was willing to "roam alone", but I reminded him that I had been coming here for long enough where I knew my way around. Just like Elizabeth-cautious and caring. I made it home safely and started to prepare for the following day in the village.

I kissed the internet goodbye as I left for Kibooba in the morning. I was already having withdraw at the thought, but I knew I could manage. I mean, come on, I left my I-phone in Michigan days earlier and I was still alive. I was leaving Kampala with a new friend...a strange rash on my arm. Hmmmmm....nothing like a rash in Africa to make your mind wander. It didn't itch, so I chose to ignore it. I made it to the village by 11 and got ready to do...nothing. Funny how a life without electricity makes one wonder how they will fill their days. I feel like if I don't have my email 24/7 then I'm not being productive. Oh, silly, silly me.

I was greeted with a surprise. Joel had arranged for me to stay with him, but he was in town when I arrived so his wife, Cissy found me. Before she did I found something else-a newborn baby! Cissy had just given birth to their fifth child, a girl only two days prior! Tiny little thing with a full head of dark hair and a set of pipes on her like a frickin' Harley Davidson. Who knew such loud cries could come from such a little creature. Anyway, Joel arrived and it was so great to see him. He is such a bright light, inspiring all he encounters with his gentle spirit and abundant love. I passed out some gifts to Joel and Cissy and then received his famous words that have given me strength throughout the last year, "Thank you for loving us." When we are in the thick of frantic fundraiser planning I go back to Joel's words of wisdom to gain strength to continue working hard for the children of Kibooba. Some days I stress myself out too much and all I have are his words of wisdom to keep me going. 4 Oneworld is giving love and in turn we are receiving love. It's a beautiful cycle that will continue as long as we all keep giving.

So the afternoon started with children coming for their lunch. They were so happy to see "Auntie Tara", as they refer to me and I too was sooo happy to see all of them. The little people have an energy that I can't quite explain. Genuine, true, uncensored. I love it. After lunch the teachers wanted to meet with me to talk. Two teachers were replaced this year, so I met the newbies and settled in on the mat on the floor to listen. In summary, the teachers were asking for funds for another teacher. 4 Oneworld currently funds 6 salaries and they are in need of another teacher to provide the students with one teacher per grade. I was taken aback by their request. Often times when the muzungu comes to town it is perceived as a bottomless well of money. I needed to clarify the situation for them. I explained by saying that 4 Oneworld doesn't want to fund any teachers' salaries, but due to the dire financial situation of the school we are needed to offer a helping hand at this time. The goal is to establish income generating projects to provide sustainable education for the future. I also told them that nobody is paid in 4 Oneworld that we are all volunteers coming to give without compensation. I watched the light bulb go off in their heads at this point. I said, just as Joel is sacrificing to help the children of his community, so is everyone at 4 Oneworld. Our meeting ended with me passing out 4 Oneworld t-shirts to everyone and smiles ensued. Sometimes a material possession can bring happiness, even if it temporary.

Joel and I went to the school so I could see the 4 Oneworld accomplishments: the awesome fence, the revamped pit latrines and the site for the garden. I also had the opportunity to finally meet Harriet, the local council leader who donated the land for the school. Last year when I visited she was quite ill and unable to meet. I felt so fortunate to be in her presence; I thought to myself, I am surrounded by greatness. She is in her 80's and a retired social worker who knew that she had to make a difference in her lifetime. Land is precious in Africa and she gave two acres to the community to be able to build the Kibooba Primary School. A lovely, selfless woman that wanted to give. WOW. Could you imagine if everyone thought like her???

I was looking forward to a peaceful sleep in the village, away from the noise of Kampala. Again, silly me. A newborn baby and a radio that didn't turn off all night long kept me awake until a few hours before sunrise. Uggghhh, this spoiled muzungu just wants some sleep.

I traveled back to Kampala this morning and spent some time at St. Kizito today and many hours of emailing and skyping loved ones. So here I am on a Friday night in Kampala emailing away. Of course, I miss everyone, but I feel so lucky to have all of my Uganda peeps. They are special people and my life is enriched because of them. Until next time....give love. xoxo, t

No comments:

Post a Comment